Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stolen Words

I've tried to turn this into a song for a little while, but I haven't had much luck. I think I get too depressed when I work on it. The lyrics are still very much in the rough stage, but they don't have a melody to be crafted into, so it's been hard to work with them. I got the idea from a post-secret that read something like this: "I realized yesterday that I only love her because she loves me. It's not reason enough to stay, but it's still not enough to leave." I tried to craft the scene around that confession.

"Stolen Words"

Daylight cuts through the blinds in ribbons
And the light lays the whites across your skin
I roll over and give a tug against the sheets
And see the blush that's still clinging to your cheeks

Remember how the frosted air had colored them
The night our firm resolve gave way to sin?
You were cold; I took you in; we drank all night, and then slept in

But these thin walls could not contain
The guilt I couldn't place, the fear I couldn't name
and, oh, that unutterable shame

o how quickly three magic words leapt from my heart into your ears
They ran like lidocaine through your veins, dissolving every fear
I wasn't sure I meant them, but they sure sounded nice to hear

In these still moments, I'm alone with my thoughts
I feel the coming wrath that those words hath surely wrought
I can see the sickening truth of it all
How my clever, stolen words made you fall

As you sleep, I dream of ways I could deny
That every tender word I spoke was a godforsaken lie
Because I know now I only love you because you love me
It's not enough reason to stay, no, and not enough to leave
You dream of children, I dream of ways to flee
And now I see.... finally....
That indescribable something that drives men to cheat

No comments: