Saturday, August 16, 2008

Art Monk

Art Monk... I know, I know that I write about sports figures probably far too often, but in a profession so often identified with greed & worldliness, I get really encouraged by men who stand tall for Christ. Art Monk is one such man. He played wide receiver for the Redskins, and when he retired he was the NFL's all-time receptions leader (a record that was mercilessly destroyed by Jerry Rice). My buddies Bob, Michael Cody, Matt Souers, & I were sitting around in our hotel room when Art's induction ceremony came on. And, man, he brought the gospel.

His son, James Monk, Jr. introduced him with these words: Dad's greatness never came from his ability to play football, but it came because he wanted to be used by God for his glory, above all."  Awesome. 

Some other highlights from his speech (or if you want to read the whole thing or read C.J Mahaney's write-up):

"And even now as a Hall of Famer, the one thing I want to make very clear is that my identity and my security is found in the Lord. And what defines me and my validation comes in having accepted his son Jesus Christ as my personal savior. And what defines me is the word of God and it's the word of God that will continue to shape and mold me into the person that I know he's called me to be

So I've learned a long time ago never to put my faith or trust in man, for man will always fail you. Man will always disappoint you. But the word of God says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. And he will never fail you."

"There's a scripture that I think about almost every day and I've come to personalize it to my life. It says: 'Lord, who am I that you are mindful of me?' And the Apostle Paul says, 'Think of what you were when you were called. Not many were wise by human standards. Not many were influential. Not many were born of noble birth.'

"And when I look at my life and how I grew up, I certainly had none of those qualities or benefits.

"But I understand and I know that I'm here not by in and of my own strength but it's by the grace and the power of God upon my life who I know gave me favor along the way and who provided opportunity and room for me to use my gifts.

"So I am very grateful to receive this honor, and I can stand here before you and say, hey, look at me, look what I did. But if I'm going to boast, I'm going to boast today in the Lord, for it's because of him that I'm here and I give him thanks and glory and honor for all that he has done for me."


No comments: