Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Best of Spring 2008 Music

So as to establish a tradition (perhaps a semi-annual one?), I am posting my Best of Spring 2008 mix. These songs were "new," in that they were at least new to me, from the Fall of '07 to the Spring of '08. Some of the bands listed are those that carried over from the Fall because their albums never escaped my head... Without further ado,
1. Radiohead- Bodysnactchers
-Is there a group of more brilliant, other-worldly musicians alive? Doubtfully so. J Rhea and I think that if there is one (all members still living) band that should get into heaven solely on merit, it would be these guys.
2. Jose Gonzalez- Down the Line
 - So simple, so dark. He hates religion as much as he loves playing brilliant classical guitar.
3. Jon Foreman- I Am Still Running
    -I'm not a big Switchfoot guy, but someone I respect told me to check out Foreman's solo Winter Ep. It's brilliant. There is such a forlorn nature to all of the songs. This one actually is my second favorite- the top choice would be "White as Snow," taken directly from Psalm 51.
4. Plants & Animals- Bye Bye Bye
-If a tremendous smile doesn't wash over your face about 30 seconds in, go see a shrink. You're probably not well. This song is just terribly amusing.
5. Belle & Sebastian- If She Wants Me
-My favorite song they've ever done. They write great melodies with lyrics that startle you. This is no exception.
6. These United States- The Business
-Seeing them play with The Triceratops in Jonathan Benton Booksellers was one of the highlights of my Spring. They were so chill, so enjoyable, and they just plain had fun.
7. Over the Rhine- Don't Wait for Tom
-My love for Tom Waits was amplified ten-fold by this song and its genius lyrics. Stunning.
8. Midlake- Young Bride
-A really great track from a mostly mediocre indie band.
9. The Apples in Stereo- Beautiful Machine, Pts. 3-4
-I am convince that this album will make me happy for the rest of my life. It is so light-hearted & free.
10. Fionn Regan- Be Good or Be Gone
-Perhaps his most accessible song, "Be Good or Be Gone" really shows how good he is at guitar.
11. A Fine Frenzy- Almost Lover
-The lyrics are hard to swallow, so true to life. This song will forever be associated with riding with Ryan Hamilton up to Notre Dame.
12. The Avett Brothers- Will You Return?
-Everything they touch is gold to me. Emotionalism is phenomenal. Just a great folk band.
13. These United States- Slow Crows Over
-"Slow crows over as Van Gogh sobers." I don't have a clue what they're singing about, but it doesn't seem to matter.
14. Brandi Carlile- How These Days Grow Long
-live, acoustic encore from Workplay. Girl can sing.
15. The Triceratops- Bear: A True Love Story
-I feel confident enough to say (now that WSO's been on Letterman) that The Triceratops might be Birmingham's finest local indie band. I might have seen then 10-15 times in the six-eight months before I came down to Fort Walton.
16. Erin McKeown- Hum
-"In the Spring of my 24th year"- all-too appropriate. And catchy. This song is guaranteed to stick in your head, at least until you get to...
17. Jaymay- Gray or Blue
-I love this song & this girl's voice. "I can't stop staring at your mouth without wondering how it tastes"
18. Fleet Foxes- Mykonos
-This song blows my mind. I had no idea that people still made music like this. It sounds like these newcomers channeled CSNY and imported them forty years later. I love it. This song is from their EP. Their full-length just came out. J Rhea seems to think it's great.
19. Devandra Banhardt- Lover
-A great sing-a-long type indie acoustic song.
20. The Apples in Stereo- Sun Is Out
-so freaking happy. guaranteed to put you in a better mood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions